Sunday, January 16, 2022

Kaleidoscope by Brian Selznick - OPTIONAL

Kaleidoscope by Brian Selznick,
208 pages. SHORT STORIES Scholastic Press, 2021. $20.

Content: G. 

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW 

A series of stories, told by a first person narrator and his/her interactions with James who appears in various roles and worlds and manifestations. The stories are very short - 3-5 pages each, and of course, Selznick has provided illustrations. 

Oh dear . . . while I love the quirky stories Selznick tells, I have to say, I was lost. I kept hoping that there would be something to tie it all together. Yes, it's about grief and time and friendship and hope and love, but except for "James" I couldn't find a common thread. The protagonists are children - I think - but I think adults who have more background knowledge and nostalgia and sophistication to make those connections will appreciate this more. 

Lisa Librarian

No comments: