Thursday, September 30, 2021

What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture by The School of Life - OPTIONAL

What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture by The School of Life, 183 pages. NONFICTION. The School of Life, 2020. $20.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

You might not think much about architecture, but architecture shapes our world -- literally. Is your city boring or beautiful, and what makes it that way? By understanding what buildings are saying to us, we can work to build a better world together.

The School of Life has an agenda, and I felt pushed to agree with their opinions on what makes a place beautiful. While the later sections helped me understand their whys, I didn’t appreciate being told what to think. I still like some of the ideas this book offers on how to look at buildings in a way I never have, but the pushy language was a huge disappointment to me after I loved their other book, “What Adults Don’t Know About Art.”

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: