Thursday, September 23, 2021

Dark Skies by Danielle L. Jensen - OPTIONAL

Dark Skies by Danielle L. Jensen
, 478 pages. Tom Doherty Associates, 2020. $11

 Language:PG-13 (23 swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: PG (Kissing, slight innuendos but nothing too sexual); Violence: PG-13 (Fighting ongoing war, hand to hand combat, blood and gore mentioned and horse cut open but nothing too graphic) 

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL 

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE 

The gods are real. And the people of Mudamora are fighting an ongoing battle that is rumored to started because of a High Lord's son- Killian. Killian is a god "marked" which means he has strength and endurance unlike any man and he makes for a really good solider. But when the city's defenses fall because of him, he is reduced to being nothing more but a bodyguard for the Princess. But the longer he gets to know the Princess, the more he gets roped up in her depictions and manipulations. 

 I thought the world of Dark Skies was very cool one. I mean people that get 'powers' from their gods? Sounds creative and like nothing I've heard of before, I am in! I will admit the fantasy terms and names are hard to grasp at first but when you do, the plot becomes so complex. Speaking of complex, I thought the characters where complex, had very good motivations and where awesome. A problem I had with this book though was that it lacked in logic. Sometimes I would read a description and I would be confused how, logically it all worked. But this is a fantasy novel so I digress. 

 Kenzie Hoehne, Student Reviewer 

No comments: