Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel by Sheela Chari - OPTIONAL


The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel
by Sheela Chari
, 284 pages. Walker Books, 2020. $18.

Language: PG (9 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

“Something BIG is happening soon.” When Mars’s idol says it, Mars believes it -- especially when Aurora goes missing. And then Jonas. Maybe the big thing made them disappear. Maybe the big thing is whatever Mars has to do to get them back.

The mystery of finding the kids who had gone missing was exciting until it became confusing. In the ending climax scenes, pieces are revealed as if they will explain everything, but I felt like the pieces didn’t all go to the puzzle I was trying to put together. Furthermore, Mars is loyal to a fault and is portrayed as a hero by making poor choices that readers shouldn’t emulate. Maybe the story would be more fun for me if I was familiar with the podcast it’s based on, but, at this point, I am not interested in the original story or this book’s sequel.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen


2 comments:

Test said...

I think the podcast would help a lot, but no e of my students are familiar with it! I have probably been sent four copies of this. Not getting the appeal.

Test said...

I've probably been sent four copies of this, and my students have had zero interest in the one copy I put into the collection. I don't know that podcasts are something they ever listen to!