Friday, September 4, 2020

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust - HIGH


Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust
, 336 pages. Flatiron Books, 2020. $16.

Language: PG (3 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Locked away as the shame of the royal family, Soraya longs to be around people. But she’s poisonous to the touch, constantly endangering anyone who gets close. When an opportunity arises to remove the poison, Soraya will do whatever it takes, whatever the cost.

Every time I thought I knew what was going on, I was proved wrong. Soraya is a heroine like I have never read before, and I think the difference is that she makes more mistakes, things that I would never do but were real struggles for her character. Reading about someone so different from me was compelling, and I enjoyed the messages woven through about consequences, learning from your mistakes, and self-acceptance. The violence rating is for gore. Note: I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator, Nikki Massoud, does a phenomenal job, changing her voice for different characters and using her voice to surround listeners in the story.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: