Sunday, August 25, 2019

Can You Crack the Code? by Schwartz and Williams - ESSENTIAL

Can You Crack the Code? A Fascinating History of Ciphers and Cryptology by Ella Schwartz, illustrated by Lily Williams, 118 pages.     NON FICTION. Bloomsbury, 2019. $22                

Content: G 

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS  - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE        

Look at how codes, ciphers and cryptograms have been used through history and even today. Codes have been and are used by historical figures, leaders in societies and even by professional football players! Cryptography is now a big field of study and there are great job opportunities available for people who are great coders.            

I loved this book! It has so much information and fun facts, codes and solutions that it was an enjoyable read. I loved the exercises for the reader to do. These helped me stay with the book as I learned about how codes have been and are used. I open my library an hour before school every day so students can come and work on coding. I will definitely make sure the students know how great this books is, and make is available for their enjoyment. I think this book will help students be excited about codes and coding.      

Ellen-Anita, Librarian

No comments: