Saturday, July 29, 2006

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess - ESSENTIAL

As you read my reviews today, you'll notice I seem to have a beef against swearing. And I do, when it feels like the swearing is added to artificially inflate the maturity level of a book. I have defended books with swearing before. Oh well! Let me know if you feel differently!

Wiess, Laura Such a Pretty Girl, 224 p. Simon Schuster

MS, HS-ESSENTIAL

Meredith has been safe for three years, but now her rapist – her own father – is getting out of jail early for good behavior and her mother insists that Meredith welcome him back with open arms. In the few dramatic days following his release, Meredith discovers some unexpected supporters and the strength within her self to survive.

 Very engrossing and a speedy read that will generate lots of word of mouth among students. The book does mention, of course, the rape, without describing it. Meredith also is pretty cozy with her older boyfriend, but again the descriptions are fairly limited. The “F’ word is used once, and other swear words less than half a dozen times.

CINDY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,

I'm so glad you enjoyed Such a Pretty Girl, and I appreciate the good review!

All Best,

Laura Wiess