Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Otherworld by Abbie Emmons - OPTIONAL

The Otherworld by Abbie Emmons, 438 pages. Abbie Emmons, 2023. $29.

Language: R (188 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

On her eighteenth birthday, Orca is sure her father will finally allow her to leave their island to see the Otherworld. But he doesn’t. Orca isn’t strong enough for that world. When her father leaves the island for a few days, Orca is determined to prove herself capable, and what better way than to nurse a strange man that appears on her doorstep back to health?

Jack and Adam are complete opposites, and I appreciated the contrast they illustrated with their different perspectives as I thought about who was right and why. But I am not a fan of love triangle they presented. The love triangle was the bane of my reading time, the reason I resisted turning pages. The happily ever after worked out well enough, but part of me thinks it wasn’t the right ending. Overall, Orca’s story was well-written despite me not agreeing with choices made by the characters and author.

All the characters are implied white. The mature content rating is for mentions of alcohol and underage drinking, nudity, innuendo, and mention of sex. The violence rating is for blood and fist fighting.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: