Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Creeping Beauty by Andrea Portes - OPTIONAL

Creeping Beauty by Andrea Portes, 368 pages. HarperTeen (HarperCollins), 2023. $20.

Language: PG13 (20 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

The birthday of the princess, Bitsy, is approaching, and the king seems overly anxious about marrying her off. Bitsy runs to hide in a corner of the palace, and she stumbles upon a spindle. Upon touching it, she falls, opening her eyes in a place unfamiliar to her.

Sleeping Beauty does not have as many successful adaptations as some of the other fairy tale classics, and I found myself intrigued by Portes’ take on it. Portes tells the story in a causal stream of consciousness tone that I didn’t love because it breaks the fourth wall, but I tried not to let it bother me. Bitsy experiences adventure in a way that is reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland while her parents experience her sleep with a hint of The Frog Prince. Overall, I think I would have liked the fairy-tale-combining story except that the ending isn’t an ending at all. I have so many more questions.

Bitsy is implied white, though her father is described as having “olive” skin. There are also other mentions of various skin tones. The mature content rating is for alcohol use, nudity, and innuendo. The violence rating is for weapon use, mentions of cannibals, blood and gore, suicide, and murder.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: