Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Obsession by Jesse Q. Sutanto - HIGH


The Obsession
by Jesse Q. Sutanto
, 304 pages. Sourcebooks Fire, 2021. $11.

Language: R (245 swears, 54 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Logan, a high school senior, has struggled ever since Sophie died, and everyone noticed -- his best friend, his classmates, even the school counselor. But then he meets Delilah, and the world is brighter. Delilah is like Sophie but better -- stronger -- than Sophie could ever be, and Logan won’t let Delilah end up like her.

Wow. Words cannot express how I feel -- partly because I, myself, am uncertain how all these emotions are tangled together. Sutanto brilliantly gives readers pictures of Logan and Delilah that morph through each chapter, adding layers as we follow the progression of their story. Delight, distress, and disgust warred within me as I tried to figure out who I wanted to win the struggle and how. The ending was one I would never imagine, but now, having read it, I also would never change it. The mature content rating is for innuendo, drugs and alcohol, and mentions of sex and rape. The violence rating is for physical abuse, homicide, and suicide.

Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: