Sunday, December 23, 2018

House of Dreams: The Life of L.M. Montgomery by Liz Rosenberg - ADVISABLE


House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery by Liz Rosenberg, illustrated by Julie Morstad, 339 pages.  Candlewick Press, 2018.  $18.  

Content: Language: PG (3 swears); Mature Content: PG; Violence: G.  

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS – ADVISABLE  

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE  

Maud loses her mother when she is only two years old, and her father sends her to live with her grandparents.  Maud’s grandparents are strict, but she enjoys escaping into her imagination.  As Maud gets older she yearns for an education and independence, but as a woman in the late 1800’s with not much money, she has to work hard for all that she has.  This story goes on to tell of Maud’s successes as the author of the Anne of Green Gables series and other delightful writings, as well as her marriage and motherhood.  

I adore the Anne of Green Gables series and have since I was a child, so I loved reading about Maud.  This biography is well done and has sweet illustrations at the beginning of every chapter.  There were parts of Maud’s life that were surprising and sad.  I loved this book and put it as advisable, but I know I’m biased because of my love of Maud’s books and I think that if you are going to read this book you will appreciate it more if you have already read a L.M. Montgomery book.  

C. Peterson

No comments: