Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Move it or Bruise It (Blood City Rollers #2) by V. P. Anderson and Tatiana Hill, - OPTIONAL

Move it or Bruise It (Blood City Rollers #2) by V. P.  Anderson and Tatiana Hill, 153 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. Random House, 2026. $22

Language: G (1 swears, 0 ‘f'); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (Roller derby fights)

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - OPTIONAL

APPEALS TO: SOME

Humans Mina and Swan (13 yo) miss their roller derby teammates the Blood City Rollers, who also happen to be vampires. After spending the summer searching for them, they finally track them down at a creepy abandoned asylum. But if the Blood City Rollers want to keep their new home, they must compete in a sudden death scrimmage against another roller derby team made up of misfit monsters who are also searching for a place to belong. Along the way, Mina learns that being part of a team means supporting one another rather than always trying to compete.

Because I had not read the first book in the series, I spent the beginning of the story feeling a little lost and confused. I kept wondering why two human girls were playing on a vampire roller derby team. However, as the story progressed, I was able to piece together the background information and better understand the characters and their relationships. The book delivers a positive message about friendship, teamwork, and learning to put the success of the group ahead of individual competition. The characters are a mix of ethnicities.  

Reviewer: A. Snow, Librarian


No comments: