Language: R (12 swears, 1 ‘f’); Mature Content: PG (kissing); Violence: G (none)
BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ADVISABLE
APPEALS TO: SEVERAL
10th grader Siya is ecstatic to make the school’s mock trial team - especially since 12th grader Raj Raghavan is one of the leaders. Siya is also determined to honor the memory of her mother, a lawyer, who died in a car crash when Siya was ten. This year’s mock trial is not sitting well with Siya, however, because it seems to be based on Siya’s family’s own tragedy. She not only wants to do her best, but she also wants to find out if this is coincidence or a plot.
LaRocca includes the Indian story of Rama and Sita woven into the book. While it is supposed to highlight the romance between Siya and Raj, I found that part of the plot to be secondary to Siya searching for the truth about her mother and family. Of course, I’m an old lady, so I am totally missing the romance. I do love LaRocca’s resolution.
Cindy, Middle School Librarian, MLS

No comments:
Post a Comment