Saturday, August 15, 2026

Hafsa's Way by Aisha Saeed - ADVISABLE

Hafsa's Way by Aisha Saeed
, 212 pages. Nancy Paulsen (Penguin), 2026. $18.

Language: G (0 swears 0 'f'); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (elephant injury and care issues)

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE

APPEALS TO: SEVERAL

Hafsa wants to be a doctor when she grows up. She's determined to follow that dream despite her father's reluctance to allow his daughter (a girl!) to become a doctor, and the fact that she has been accepted to as prestigious summer camp for pre-med is expensive, and it's in the big city. Fortunately, Hafsa gets her way, and the stars line up in her favor; her married sister lives less than a mile away, and her brother-in-law offers to pay. But when she starts the camp, she sees she's enrolled in the environmental camp instead, but Hafsa is willing to make the best of it.

A companion novel to both Amal Unbound and Omar Rising - Amal returns as best friend, but it's Hafsa's story. I'm not sure how old Hafsa is, she reads to be 12-14, maybe? The story takes place in Pakistan, and the conditions at the zoo are rough - I hope readers understand that things are very different in the US. I loved the environmental connection - kids today are really invested in this subject, so I think this will get read. Saeed is a great writer, and I love her storytelling. The family drama was just right; the medical component - yes, she gets a bit of an opportunity to experience it - was a little surprising, so I think she may be older than 12. Hafsa is Pakistani

Lisa Librarian 

No comments: