A Trade of Blood (Ana and Din Mysteries #3) by Robert Jackson Bennett, 400 pages. Del Rey (Penguin Random House), 2026. $32.
Language: R (196 swears, 56 “f”); Mature Content: PG13 (drug and alcohol use, illegal activity, disturbing elements, innuendo, nudity, and mentions of sex); Violence: R (corpses, assault, blood and gore, animal cruelty, mentions of genocide, suicide, and murder)
BUYING ADVISORY: ADULTS - ADVISABLE
APPEALS TO: SEVERAL
Ana is not happy with their new investigation assignment not only because it appears to be an open-and-shut case to appease the gentry but mostly because that means it’s also going to be uninteresting. Except that when Ana and Dinios arrive, they find evidence that this case is not as easily settled as they anticipated—and that it might not be the perpetrator’s first murder.
As excited as I was to return to this fantasy world and Ana and Din’s investigative duo, I was as put off about the new case as Ana was, due to the case’s cliché Romeo and Juliet angle. Thankfully, the story quickly expanded from there, drawing in all the elements of mystery, awe, and paranoid suspicion for every character that could betray the beloved duo along the way that I have come to expect. With bittersweet feelings about finishing another mind-blowing case, I look forward to many more.
Reviewer: Carolina Johnson

No comments:
Post a Comment