BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ADVISABLE
APPEALS TO: SEVERAL
In 1872 Philip Arnold and John Slack started an interest in a supposed diamond mine somewhere in the old west. Some of the richest men in America get involved and want to become investors, but is the promise of unbelievable wealth blinding them to the fact that this mine may become The Great Diamond Hoax?
A real true crime adventure! I loved the added comics to bridge some of the sections, providing movement and a fresh voice - or rather the voices of the characters rather than just the narrator, I especially loved the comic about how diamonds are made. I loved how Sheinkin added context chapters, talking about what was happening back East at the same time, like who the president was and what happened with his buggy race. There's an author's note which shouldn't be missed, as well as source notes, a bibliography and an index.
The main characters are white
Lisa Librarian

No comments:
Post a Comment