Monday, August 5, 2024

The Warm Hands of Ghosts by Katherine Arden - OPTIONAL

The Warm Hands of Ghosts
by Katherine Arden
, 327 pages. Del Rey (Random House), 2024. $18 

Language: R (93 swears, 3 ‘f'); Mature Content: PG (drinking by adults); Violence: R (bloody deaths)

BUYING ADVISORY: HS, ADULT - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: SEVERAL


24yo Laura receives her brother’s dog tags and uniform in the mail. This means that Freddie has died in World War I. She’s devastated but has a feeling that he isn’t dead. She leaves her Canadian home and travels back to World War I and takes up her mantle as a war nurse again to search for any information she can find about Freddie. What she discovers will change her life forever.

Laura’s strength, perseverance, and love for her brother makes her a great character. My heart warmed as Freddie and the German soldier helped each other and became like brothers. I appreciated the World War I setting and learned quite a bit about its history. I didn’t know about the Halifax explosion before I read this book.

The ethnicity defaults to white.

LynnDell Watson, DHS Librarian, Delta, Utah 

No comments: