Thursday, November 2, 2023

The Sun and The Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro - ADVISABLE

The Sun and The Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro
, 472 pages. Disney Hyperion, 2023. $20

Language: PG (2 swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G (some kissing); Violence: PG (Monsters, killing, blood, injuries)

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

14yo Nico di Angelo, son of Hades, and 16yo Will Solace, son of Apollo, and boyfriends, venture together into the deep, terrifying depths of Tartarus (the bottom and most terrible part of the Underworld) to save an old friend. Their relationship hangs in the balance.

I just loved seeing all these old characters of Rick's again. I also really like how he incorporated things from his past books and different characters' storylines into this book. One thing that surprised me was how many characters came out as LGBT in the camp scene. I did not see that coming in my reading of the rest of the books in the series. As a teenager, I just didn’t see the point of having so many of the characters suddenly being out, but I’m sure he had his reasons and I can respect that. Nico di Angelo is Italian and gay. Will Solace is bi-sexual.

Student Reviewer: KC, 9th grade 

No comments: