Friday, December 8, 2017

A Journey with Juan Ponce De Leon (Primary Source Explorers) by Laura Hamilton Waxman –OPTIONAL

Waxman, Laura Hamilton A Journey with Juan Ponce De Leon (Primary Source Explorers) 40 pgs. Lerner, 2017.  $20.

This book tells the story of Juan Ponce De Leon, sourcing as much as it can –on primary sources. Readers discover his early life as a knights assistant, his journey with Columbus, his rise to wealth and governance of islands in the Caribbean, and his numerous journeys to Florida. Contains lots of photographs of maps, artwork, ships, and artifacts.

I must admit to not knowing a lot about Ponce De Leon before reading this book. Now I am questioning whether he was truly an explorer or more of just a conquistador. Even his discover of Florida was predated by other Europeans. My takeaway from this book is his primary role in life was to enslave and control indigenous populations. I like that this book (and series) relies heavily on primary sources, that is a wonderful shift in history education. I also really like how the book is very up front with the European spread of disease, entitlement, and exploitation. I feel like that was hidden from me in my education –especially of Columbus. The book is very well written and wonderfully put together –but do I really think I need to add Ponce to my explorer list? –I am optional on that.  

EL -OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: