Saturday, May 13, 2017

Things I Should Have Known by Claire LaZebnik - OPTIONAL

LaZebnik, Claire. Things I Should Have Known, 311 pgs. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017. $17.99 Language – PG13 (44 swear, 2 “f”), Mature Content – PG13; Violence – G; 

Ivy might be three years older than Chloe, but Chloe is the one protecting and defending Ivy. Ivy could never intentionally hurt someone, but her autism makes others uncomfortable to the point of being rude. With college and the idea of not living at home anymore on Chloe’s mind, she sets off on a mission to help Ivy become more independent—by getting Ivy a boyfriend.

This book was enjoyable enough. I didn’t not like it, but I also didn’t connect very well to Chloe’s and David’s experiences because I have not interacted with anyone who has autism. However, I feel that I now better understand those who have autism and their families. Of course, that’s assuming LaZebnik portrayed them accurately, I wouldn’t know. 

HS – OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: