Friday, May 19, 2017

The Rat Prince by Bridget Hodder - OPTIONAL

Hodder, Bridget The Rat Prince, 260. Farrar Straus Giroux Books For Young Readers, 2016. $16.99. Language: G( 0 swears,0 ‘F’); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG.


Prince Char, the rat prince, lives at the Lancastyr Manor (which is his castle). He and his royal advisor, Swiss, are trying to help Rose/Cinderella. They want her to escape the life she is living and marry Prince Geoffrey (even though she doesn't want to). But the more Prince Char helps Rose the more he comes to glimpse how he feels about her. Then he truly finds out how he feels when he becomes human. But when they get to the ball, his feelings get stronger.  Prince Char has until midnight to spend with the love of his life, until he becomes a rat again. But then something happens at the royal ball, if Char doesn't accept it could put the whole kingdom in despair. But he can’t tell the King of Agland why he can’t accept his offer because he will turn into a rat at the end of the day.


This book was great. I love the main characters and how they were described and developed. The start of the story was just not for me I did not like it, it didn’t feel like it fit well with the rest of the story. It took a long time to get the story going. The story line for the ending of the book was amazing because everything fit together so well and there was so much detail I could see everything happening in my mind. Some parts started to creep me out. If some parts of the book had not happened I would have been good but when those weird things happened it was hard for me to finish the book because I was too scared to read the rest but I did because I wanted to know what happened next. But I liked how the author put a twist on this story even though it was somewhat disturbing.

EL, MS - OPTIONAL 8th Grade Student Reviewer JM

No comments: