Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I Lost My Sock! by P.J. Roberts - ADVISABLE

Roberts, P.J. I Lost My Sock! A Matching Mystery, illustrated by Elio. PICTURE BOOK. Abrams Appleseed, 2017. $12.95 

Fox has lost his sock and he enlists his friend, Ox, to help him find it. They look all over and find a lot of socks--even a rock!--but never the exact match to the sock in question. When the missing sock is finally discovered, its on Ox's head, because he thinks it is a hat. With friendship on the line, Fox gives up his sock and next goes in search of his shoe. 

The point of this book is obviously to help younger readers learn same/different and enjoy the fun of trying to match Fox's sock with all the other socks they find along the way. In that case, the idea of same/different is used well in the book. As an actual story the tale is sort of ridiculous and had me shaking my head at the off-the-wall humor being attempted. That being said--kindergartners might find it hilarious. 

Pre-K, EL (K-3)--ADVISABLE. Reviewer: TC

No comments: