Monday, January 25, 2016

Immortal Guardians (Fall of the Beasts: Spirit Animals Book #1) by Eliot Schrefer –OPTIONAL

Schrefer, Eliot Immortal Guardians (Fall of the Beasts: Spirit Animals Book #1)192 pgs. Scholastic, 2015. $16.95 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: PG
Erdas is a world where some children find a spirit animal. Some even summon rare animals, like the children from the first series. In this second series, more of the rare animals are appearing to bond with children, but Zerif, an evil man, has found a way to steal their animals. Will the children be able to stop them? Will an old nemesis have truly changed enough to help them out?
I haven’t read the first series of Spirit Animals, although at my school library its quite popular with 4th grade readers. So having said that, you MUST have read the first series to understand this book. I was utterly confused and could not get on board with it. I will admit I hated the Golden Compass series, and any book with animal death or the potential for it, so I don’t think this series would be my cup of tea. I think my library will stick with the first series on our shelves, as many readers don’t make it through the entire first series in any case.   
EL –OPTIONAL  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: