Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Clark the Shark: Afraid of the Dark by Bruce Hale - ADVISABLE



Hale, Bruce  Clark the Shark: Afraid of the Dark Illustrated by Guy Francis  Harper, 2015.  $17.99  PICTURE BOOK  Content: G.  

Clark the Shark has prepared everything for his friend sleepover and can’t wait to play with his friends, but from the beginning he is worried about sleeping outside his house in the dark.  Clark and his friends have a ton of fun together, but when it’s time to go to bed they are all spooked.  They work together to make a song about not being afraid of the dark and then sing it until they fall asleep.  

My boys love Clark the Shark—I’m not sure I see the appeal because the illustrations are kind of muted and the story line has a weird solution.  The facial expressions on the fish are expressive and I think young readers relate to being afraid of the dark and afraid that their friends will make fun of them.  My review would be optional, but if it was up to my kids, who are the real audience of a children’s picture book they would make it advisable.  

EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE.  Reviewer, C. Peterson.    

No comments: