Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving at the Tappletons by Eileen Spinelli –OPTIONAL

Spinelli, Eileen Thanksgiving at the Tappletons 32 pgs. Harper (REPRINT), 2015. $18.00 PICTURE BOOK
This book is a reprint. The Tappletons family are each in charge of getting a food dish ready for Thanksgiving dinner, but there are many roadblocks. When the family finally sits down to dinner they discover, hungry as can be, they discover the extent to which the dinner did not go as planned.  
Don’t get me wrong, this is kind of funny, and reportedly a beloved classic, but isn’t it just stuffed to the gills with deceit? I realize they come together in the end and learn a valuable lesson, but I was just frustrated reading this. The dated artwork and the prayer inclusion pretty much seal the deal of my not adding this book to my collection.
EL(K-3) –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: