Monday, November 9, 2015

Ice Cream Summer by Peter Sis- OPTIONAL

Sis, Peter. Ice Cream Summer, PICTURE BOOK. Scholastic Press, 2015. $17.99. Content: G. An ice cream obsessed little boy focused all of his summer learning on ice cream. He practices his reading skills at the ice cream shop, practices math facts using ice cream scoops, learns about the history of ice cream and all about those inventors that helped make ice cream a reality. As he studies, he keeps his grandpa informed of his learning through a letter he writes and as a surprise at the end of the summer, his grandpa takes him on a trip to Ice Cream Peak. I liked the concept of this book in the way that I think it’s great for people to be interested in a particular topic and then focus learning skills around that subject. I think the delivery was just off for me. I didn’t love the drawing style and I thought that some of the events in the book would require a bit of explanation, which means it would be difficult for a student to read on their own. EL- OPTIONAL. Reviewed by Shay, School Librarian

No comments: