Monday, October 19, 2015

Miss Fortune Cookie by Lauren Bjorkman - ADVISABLE

Bjorkman, Lauren Miss Fortune Cookie pg. 279 Henry Holt and Company, 2012 Language: (6 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content-PG-13; Violence: PG;

Meet 3 long time best friends…. Erin…narrator of the story, incredibly smart, Senior at Lowell High, witty, only child of a whimsical single mom.  She secretly write a blog called Miss Fortune Cookie.  It’s an advice column. Meet Mei…a Korean head strong equally smart girl whose mother dominates her.  She secretly has a boyfriend because her mother wouldn’t approve.  She gets accepted to Harvard and Stanford and wants to go to Stanford to be near her man Darren. Meet Linny-an eccentric teen who organizes a protest.  She beats to her own drum and definitely isn’t “mainstream.” 

The story basically takes these 3 girls through their senior year of high school and the challenges that face them.  Which school do I attend?  Do I do what everyone is telling me to do or do I do what my heart tells me?  I enjoyed the story overall.  The book was drug for me in the middle.  The sexual references are what makes it PG-13.  It’s such a sweet story, I’m sad they added that element. I love her comments to her readers when she turns into Miss Fortune Cookie.  They are witty and adorable. It really seemed to capture all the emotions high school seniors 
go through. 

HS - ADVISABLE-Emilee Teacher Librarian

No comments: