Monday, October 19, 2015

Goodnight Selfie by Scott Menchin - OPTIONAL

Menchin, Scott Goodnight Selfie, illustrated by Pierre Collet-Derby.  PICTURE BOOK.  Candlewick, 2015.  $15. 

A little girl is given her first camera phone and now she can’t stop taking selfies.
While the wide variety of selfies the girl takes is very creative, this just makes me so glad that my children were already grown up before camera phones became so ubiquitous.  This reminds me that I may a little out of touch with the current mainstream.  This book made me cringe because it is an overabundance of selfie-taking for a very young girl.  However – I went over to a friend’s house and she had just handed down an old phone to her five year old daughter (no phone or internet capabilities) so that she can take pictures if she wants.  I think it is the idea of balance that worries me.  Am I being too old about this?

Pre-K, EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL.    Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: