Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I say Shehechiyanu by Joanne Rocklin -OPTIONAL

Rocklin, Joanne I say Shehechiyanu Lerner, 2015. $6.95  PICTURE BOOK
A little girl goes through each season telling the reader about the times she says “Shehechiyanu”, a Jewish blessing for one a new experience. She says it when her baby brother grows a new tooth, when she teaches a friend to spin the dreidel and more.
This is a wonderful book that features a whole bunch of gratitude, something that is hard to explain to children. The illustrations are darling. That being said I don’t think I would add this to my school library because the many religious references would require explanation, which the book does not provide. This would be better appreciated by a child who is familiar with the religion or a teacher conducting an in depth lesson on the various aspects of the Jewish religion.
EL (K-3) –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: