Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Very Little Cinderella by Heapy & Heap- NOT RECOMMENDED

Heapy & Heap Very Little Cinderella. PICTURE BOOK. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015. $16.99. Content: G. Very Little Cinderella is busy cleaning the house so she can go to a party with her step sisters.  When the cleaning is complete, she is told she cannot attend the party.  In the re-telling  this fairytale, much is the same in the way of a fairy godmother, an alternate ride to the party, and lost footwear. But the only redeeming factor in this book is the illustrations.  I was so excited about reading this book.  The cover is inviting.  The illustrations are adorable- which is one way that I choose my books.  But the story simply didn’t measure up.  There were a few things  I enjoyed-  the two playmates sharing boots, and the different dresses she tried on before choosing her perfect choice.  But I didn’t like the Fairy Godmother being the babysitter.  I didn’t like how the story changed and the Ugly sisters tried to help in the end.  I wasn’t too fond of all of her “baby” talk as well.  Some of it was cute, most were annoying.  Overall this book was a disappointment.  Pre-K. EL (K-3). NOT RECOMMENDED. Reviewer: SL

No comments: