Monday, August 31, 2015

The Feast for the King by Marlies Verhelst and Linde Faas -NO

Verhelst, Marlies, and Faas, Linde The Feast for the King Lemniscaat, 2014. $16.95 PICTURE BOOK
Tarantula has created a beefed topped cake for the Kings Birthday, the problem is that the beef has disappeared! One by one Tarantula confronts the jungle animals and even asks to see in their mouths. He finds out that elephant eats sticks, giraffes only eat plants, and more. Will he find the thief in time for the party?
I found the illustrations to be so abysmal that I can’t recommend this book. I like the idea of it, introducing younger readers to jungle animals, and the concept that animals have different diets (herbivore vs carnivore vs omnivore, ect), but there was a stilted awkwardness to the wording that I found a bit off as well. I wouldn’t add this to my school library.
EL(K-3)  –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: