Thursday, May 21, 2015

Presidential Misadventures by Bob Raczka –NO

Raczka, Bob Presidential Misadventures 96 pgs. Roaring Book Press (Div of Holtzbrinck publishing) 2015. $17.99
This book features a poem about each and every president along with a simple black and white illustration to go along with the poem. Each rhyming poem features a real fact and something funny to go along with it. For example John Quincy Adams was quoted as saying “Up and At ‘em” and the spoof poem relates how he got up at dawn to swim nude in the Potomac.
I was the wrong person to review this book because I rarely care for poetry, call me a bad librarian but I truly have a hard time finding poetry I can stand. This isn’t one of them. As soon as I realized that each and every president would be featured, my heart sank. I am trying very hard to see this from a students perspective, and maybe a second grader on a presidents binge would find these both funny and interesting. I would not spend money and add this to my poetry collection, then again, I hardly ever add to that collection.

EL (K-3), EL –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: