Thursday, May 28, 2015

My Language, Your Language by Lisa Bullard –ADVISABLE

Bullard, Lisa My Language, Your Language Millbrook Press, 2015. $6.99 PICTURE BOOK
This short book follows a little girl as she explores the rich world of languages that saturate her everyday life. From her deaf brother, to her new friend that speaks Spanish, to her mom’s shampoo bottle, and much more. An array of simple words from a variety of languages are featured, including the A-Z American sign alphabet on page 22.
I really enjoyed this book and would use it right away to introduce the 400’s section of the Dewey. I absolutely loved the perspective on language that the main character had as she described different languages as singing, dancing, and swoops. She is enthusiastic and the book is incredibly positive and inclusive. I think it would be a good resource for teachers who are adding a student to their class who speaks another language. The illustrations are bright and cheerful but not my favorite.  
EL(K-3)  –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: