Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Wrenchies by Farel Dalrymple –NO

Dalrymple, Farel The Wrenchies 304 pages, First Second, 2014. $19.99 Content: Language: R (lost count at 25 swears ); Mature Content: PG Violence: PG13 GRAPHIC NOVEL
The world as we know it is forever altered by the entrance of shadowmen and their destruction of humanity. But it turns out children have some resistance to their mind control and can fight back, they are called the Wrenchies. When a boy named Hollis is pulled from the past, the Wrenchies find out that there may be a way to close the door to the world of the shadowmen and take back the planet.
I am going to admit right here and now that I didn’t finish this book, it was like reading and seeing a gross, dingy, depressing, horrible nightmare. I did sum up the plot as best I could but that was WAY oversimplifying it -as its mixed up, backwards, and so convoluted that I am not even sure anyone could ever figure out what was really going on. I think that teens may like this gritty unique art style and the idea of the plot as a complex puzzle worthy of figuring out, but because of the violence level, swearing, and gore, I think the public library would be the best place for checking out a copy.
HS  –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: