Thursday, April 30, 2015

My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal - OPTIONAL



Neal, Bethany  My Last Kiss, 358 pgs.  Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Macmillan), 2014.  $17.99  Content: Language: PG-13 (7 swears); Mature Content: PG-13; Violence: PG-13.   

Cassidy is dead, but she doesn’t see a bright light that she should go towards and she finds herself in limbo on earth.  She can’t remember her past and she can’t remember the circumstances surrounding her death, but she quickly learns that everyone believes she committed suicide and her boyfriend Ethan can see her.  Cassidy’s story goes back and forth between memories of before her death and her friends and family grieving after her death all the while uncovering what really happened.   

Cassidy’s story pulled me in from the beginning and I wanted to uncover the mystery of her death.  I liked the minor characters but sometimes I had a hard time with Cassidy’s poor decisions that hurt others.  The mature content is underage drinking and drug use and the violence leads to her death, but isn’t grotesque.   

MS, HS-OPTIONAL.  Reviewer, C. Peterson.   

No comments: