Monday, March 2, 2015

Zombie in Love: 2 + 1 by Kelly DiPucchio -- OPTIONAL

DiPucchio, Kelly Zombie in Love: 2 + 1, illustrated by Scott Campbell. PICTURE BOOK. Atheneum Books for Young Readers (Simon & Schuster), 2015. $14.99. Content: PG.

In this followup to Zombie in Love, the happily-married zombie couple finds a baby in their yard. Unfortunately, the baby has a few quirks: for one, he sleeps during the night and is awake all day. He also grows new teeth instead of losing old ones. Worst of all, he won't eat his strained brains, rotten apples, bat pudding, or even mud. What are these zombies to do?

Maybe it's because I never got into the zombie craze, but I feel very lukewarm about this one. While the concept is cute, the illustrations are not particularly eye-catching, and the story feels a little underdeveloped. Perhaps zombie fans will be more into it.

EL (K-3) -- OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Caryn

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I didn't care for the first book that much and I like zombies. But the students have not stopped checking it out. I don't think I will get this second one all the same.

Caryn said...

I wondered if it had been checked out much! I read your review before writing this one, so I was curious. At least this one didn't have as much of the mushy stuff you mentioned in the first book, so that's good. Still, the logic just wasn't there, and the pictures are so dull!