Friday, December 19, 2014

Unicorn Valley (Secret Kingdom #2) by Rosie Banks –ADVISABLE

Banks, Rosie Unicorn Valley (Secret Kingdom #2) 81 pgs, Scholastic Inc., 2014. $4.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G
In this second book of the series Ellie, Jasmine, and Summer use the beautiful box at a rummage sale to travel to the Secret Kingdom to help defeat a second evil thunderbolt. This time the magic  apple tree of Unicorn Valley is infested with worms. The girls must help and hope that the Goldengames can go on as planned.
Despite the danger from the evil queen, this is a sweet and wholesome book that will appeal to girly girls at a second to third grade reading level. Like the first book it features tiny illustrations that add to the story and cover appeal. I didn’t really feel that I got to know the characters any better, there could almost just be one girl having the adventure, since there isn’t much conflict or differentiation between the characters. Despite this, students won’t even notice will love this series as I am sure I would at that age, since like many girls, I adored Unicorns. I do find myself wishing there was more to it, some sort of life lessonS, more like the Nevergirls series.
EL(K-3) –ADVISABLE  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: