Friday, December 5, 2014

Children growing up with War by Jenny Matthews –NOT RECOMMENDED

Matthews, Jenny Children growing up with War 48 pgs. Franklin Watts Ltd, 2014. $17.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: PG13 Violence: PG13
This book reads like the photographers journal, featuring snippets of information and personal insights, maps, charts, and tons of photographs. In her career this author has had assignments in war torn areas, and has documented the effect those conflicts have had on the children living through them.  
Not to hide my head in the sand, but as an educator I think I come across enough sadness and terrible stories in the lives of the students I come in contact with each day, so much that I can’t image purchasing this book for $18 just to read/see (ugh!) about even worse things in other places. While I do think its valuable for students to learn about the lives of children that are less privilege or have very different lives than them, this book wouldn’t be a good choice for that as its geared for adults.  When I say Not Recommended, I am saying that in regards to our target audience, school libraries, but its well written book, if you are interested in the subject.
ADULTS – NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: