Friday, November 21, 2014

Immi’s Gift by Karin Littlewood –NO


Littlewood, Karin Immi’s Gift PICTURE BOOK Peachtree Publishers 2010. $7.95 Content: G
A little girl in the frozen north is fishing for her dinner in an ice hole, when she finds a variety of bright, colorful objects. She uses them to decorate her igloo, making the white structure stand out from all the frozen white land she lives on. When spring comes and her igloo melts, she moves on, and drops her white polar bear necklace into the fishing hole, and it washes up on a tropical beach, the only white items in a colorful land.
Don’t get me wrong, there is some serious symmetry going on here -world connection maybe. However, I just didn’t get the point of this story. I sort of got caught up in thinking of this little girl living on her own with just animals for family, was she an orphan? lost? and I don’t think that was the point either. I can’t imagine how I would use this book in the library. The illustrations are cute and fun.
EL (K-3) -NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: