Sunday, September 21, 2014

I Wish I Had a Pet by Maggie Rudy -- OPTIONAL

Rudy, Maggie I Wish I Had a Pet. PICTURE BOOK. Beach Lane Books, 2014. $15.99. Content: G.

Using photographs of dioramas filled with handmade creatures and decorations, this book outlines some helpful advice for children who would like to have pets someday. While the text has great tips about owning a pet, I found the illustrations downright creepy. The animals seemed so realistic yet obviously not alive that it was as if they were taxidermied creatures put into different poses. Perhaps those who find the photographs charming and whimsical instead of weird and disturbing will enjoy the book more.

Pre-K, EL (K-3) -- OPTIONAL. Reviewer: Caryn

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Haha! That is so so messed up!! That book would be going in my hall of shame of book reviews. Pet advice and dead animals, what a stellar combo. If you are going to pitch it, send it through kissthebook back my way! Haha!

Caryn said...

I was so appalled that I looked it up on Goodreads so I could see others' bad reviews -- and a ton of people LOVED the illustrations! I couldn't believe it. That's why I ended up making it optional instead, because apparently some people think dead-looking creatures are adorable. Ick. I gave the book to our local school library and warned them about the pictures. Who knows? Maybe they'll love it. I'm going to ask next time I see them.

Stephanie said...

Its hard to get past our adult perspective when reviewing books for children. I often LOVE books, and the students won't go near them. I thought the Unwanteds was a terrible book and refused to buy the rest of the series for my library, but students ask for it all the time. When you get it right though, its totally worth it.