Thursday, August 7, 2014

Training Tallulah by Rosie Reeve - OPTIONAL

Reeve, Rosie Training Tallulah.  PICTURE BOOK.  Bloomsbury, 2014.  $15.  

Tallulah’s new pet cat has settled into his new home beautifully - so well that he is practically human.  The next day Tom the cat decides Tallulah needs to learn how to be a cat.  By the end of the day she learns so well, that Tom decides that he can trade her in at the pet store for a dog.

Yes - you read that right.  The cat trades his human for a dog.  I was mystified when I finished the book.  The pictures are cute, the idea even works at the beginning - but it fell flat for me when the girl owner went so quietly to be traded away as if she were nothing.  I can see a child might find the twist silly, but I am not sure why I would suggest such a book for them to read.  

EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: