Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Tooth Fairy Wars by Kate Coombs - OPTIONAL

Coombs, Kate The Tooth Fairy Wars, illustrated by Jake Parker.  PICTURE BOOK.  Atheneum (Simon), 2014.  $18.  

When Nathan loses his first tooth, he wants to keep it forever, but the tooth fairy assigned to him finds it any way and leaves him a dollar.  Nathan’s attempts to keep his teeth become more and more elaborate and the tooth fairy is more and more determined.  

The illustrations for this book are my favorite part - I really like Parker’s style.  The struggle between the two characters is amusing, especially the lengths to which both sides resort.  The final illustration, however, is kind of creepy - and as a parent, I am very glad that I don’t have such a trophy or remembrance in my house.  I know it is fun to extend the whimsy of childhood with beliefs like the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus, but sometimes the lengths we go to are a bit extreme.  This one rides the line - a cute story with great illustrations that becomes just a bit creepy.

Pre-K, EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

FYI - soon after I read this book, a good friend told me about her son who just lost his first tooth.   Like Nathan, he did not want to let go of his tooth, no matter what his parents promised that fairy would bring!  I took this book over and read it to him and his siblings and they liked it VERY much!  

No comments: