Friday, July 4, 2014

The Girl and the Bicycle by Mark Pett -- ESSENTIAL

Pett, Mark The Girl and the Bicycle. PICTURE BOOK. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2014. $15.99. Content: G.

This wordless picture book tells the story of a little girl who wants to buy a shiny green bicycle she sees in a store window. All winter long she works to earn the money for the bike, but when she is finally ready to buy it, her plan is upended.

While the premise has been done many times before, The Girl and the Bicycle still brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it because the ending felt so appropriate. I also loved how hard the girl worked for her goal, and how selfless she was. Best of all were the illustrations, which told a full story without any text at all. It was fun to let my imagination fill in the possible dialogue or narration, and it left plenty to talk about with my daughter when we read it together.

Pre-K, EL (K-3) -- ESSENTIAL. Reviewer: Caryn

No comments: