Friday, July 4, 2014

Chu’s First Day of School by Neil Gaiman – OPTIONAL

Gaiman, Neil and illustrated by Rex, Adam  Chu’s First Day of School 32 pgs. HarperCollins, 2014. $17.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. PICTURE BOOK
Chu is starting school. He is nervous. When his new teachers goes around the room asking students for their names and what they do, Chu doesn’t know how to answer. Luckily he has a powerful sneeze that doesn’t fail to impress.
I actively look for ‘first day of school’ books, I put them out during the first few weeks of school and they are quite popular. This one starts out the same as many of the books, nervousness, which all students can relate to. I think that students would love to join in imaging how each different kind of animal would introduce themselves. But I found the ending very strange: Chu’s sneeze sort of ended his nervousness and made the class like him. As far as the artwork I am big Adam Rex fan, but I found myself waffling between thinking the artwork was adorable and just downright creepy.

EL (K-3) – OPTIONAL  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: