Thursday, July 31, 2014

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend by Box Brown -NOT RECOMMENDED

Brown, Box Andre the Giant: Life and Legend 240 pgs. First Second, 2014. $17.99 Content: Language: PG13 (10 swears); Mature Content: PG13 Violence: PG GRAPHIC NOVEL
Andre Roussimoff was called Andre the Giant. He is remembered from his time in the wresting circuit and as an actor in the cult classic move, The Princess Bride. Due to a genetic quirk, he would never stop growing, his health deteriorating at a younger age due to complications from it.  At his largest he was 500 pounds and seven and half feet tall. This graphic novel goes through his life and his challenges.
I was excited to read this, as a big fan of the movie and his character, I always thought it would be interesting to know more about him.  Call me old fashioned, but I craved photographs. Its my opinion that if someone lived in modern times, then its just mean not to feature some. If  the person is historic, then the imagination of the illustrator is a perfect tool. I think the graphic novel format is being over used. Is Andre the giant known by your high schoolers? Do they know The Princess Bride movie?  If so, there might be some interest in this. I was disappointed.

HS – NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: