Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Loud Awake and Lost by Adele Griffin - OPTIONAL

Griffin, Adele  Loud Awake and Lost, 289 pgs.  Alfred A. Knopf, 2013.  $16.99  Content: Language: PG-13 (16 swears); Mature content: PG; Violence: PG.  

Ember is returning home from an eight month physical rehabilitation stint after a horrible car accident.  She feels like her life isn’t complete and that if she can figure out the missing memories that happened the months before her accident, she might be able to understand herself better.  When she meets a new boy named Kai, she begins to feel more like herself and with the patient help of her best friend and ex-boyfriend she starts to put the pieces of her life back together.  

This is a clean novel that reads like a ghost story, even though the very alive Ember feels like the ghost.  At times I felt impatient because I wanted the story to tell me more, but by the end the whole story is revealed-and it’s not supernatural.  My only complaint is that by the end I wanted to like Ember more, and I loved her best friend and her ex-boyfriend, but as much as I wanted to like Ember, she never became likable for me.  Because it's clean it's easy to put in the library and not worry about who reads it.

MS, HS-OPTIONAL.  Reviewer, C. Peterson.

No comments: