Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sundance Film Festival A-Z by Todd Oldham- OPTIONAL


Oldham, Todd Sundance Film Festival A-Z.  BOARD BOOK. Ammo Books, 2013. $24.95.  Content: G. This book is a celebration of many of the artists, films, and plays that have been shared for the past thirty years at the Sundance Film Festival in the mountains of Utah.  From A-Z, each page is illustrated by a different artist and lists each creative work for each that letter of the alphabet.  I am a little confused as to why this is a board book?  I am sure that Sundance enthusiasts will love the book, and even a picture book form would have been fine.  But a Board Book?  For me, Board Book equates “book for baby”.  I can’t think that my children will ever want to read a list of director and writer’s names or the different films or plays that are fall under each particular alphabet heading?  And the illustrations are definitely not “baby proof.” Yet, the illustrations are magnificent on an adult level.  Therefore, I suppose this book is more of a trendy “coffee table” book instead?  And if that’s the case, one would have to have seen most- if not all- of the films, plays or productions to understand the artist’s illustrations.  If I were to buy this book for my enjoyment, or use it in the classroom while studying Sundance Theatre, I would hope for more information or  a synopsis of some of the productions that influenced the illustrator artwork in order to understand each page- not just titles and information about directors and writers, etc.   I have been to Sundance Theatre, and enjoyed my time there immensely, but this book simply isn’t for me.  EL, MS, HS- OPTIONAL.  Reviewer: SL.

No comments: