Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Dash of Magic (Bliss #2) by Kathryn Littlewood –ADVISABLE

Littlewood, Kathryn A Dash of Magic (Bliss #2) 368 pgs. Katherine Tegen Books, 2013. $13.24.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: G ;  Violence: G.

In Book #1 Rosemary was tricked by her Aunt Lily and ended up losing her family’s magic recipe Booke. Lily is up to no good and must be stopped, so Rose ends up making a deal with Lily –whoever wins the Paris international baking competition keeps the book. It’s going to take everything she has and more to win. The family starts by enlisting an elderly family member and talking animals. Next they race around Paris trying to collect magical ingredients. Lastly, Rose must bake at her very best and gain her confidence if she is going to have any chance of competing.

At first I was rolling my eyes, the plot is kind of goofy and nonsensical at times (for example, I wasn’t too happy that one chapter is called “Making Whoopie”..but those things aside the author is really good at character writing and there is quite a few of them –but I felt like I got to know them and enjoy their company. Reminds me Brandon Mull books in that regard. I really ended up loving this book! Students will enjoy the magic and the yummy food! I am buying this book (it can function as a stand-alone though) and the first in the series for my school library.  

EL- ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: