Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tillie Pierce: Teen Eyewitness to the Battle of Gettysburg - ADVISABLE


Anderson, Tanya Tillie Pierce: Teen Eyewitness to the Battle of Gettysburg, 87 p. Twenty-First Century (Lerner), 2013. $26.  Violence: PG (descriptions of battle wounds, bodies on battlefields).  

When the first shots were fired in the small town of Gettysburg, Tillie Pierce’s family sent her out of town with a neighbor for safety.  Instead, Tillie’s refuge ended up being in the middle of many of the fiercest battles during those few days.  Years later, Tillie wrote an account of what she saw, heard and experienced during those busy, dangerous days.  Anderson draws upon the source material to paint a human level picture of the battle, instead of one based upon the armies.  

I wish there was more Tillie in the book, though her presence is throughout.  I don’t know where I can acquire her book, but now I want to read it.  But Anderson weaves an interesting story that is very informative and simple to read.  I bookmarked the map showing an overview of the area so that I could refer to it throughout my reading.  We do so much with non-fiction around here, I know it will be a valuable asset.  

MS – ADVISABLE.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: