Monday, March 4, 2013

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake –OPTIONAL


Timberlake, Amy One Came Home 272 pgs. Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2013. $11.55.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: G ;  Violence: PG13.
Set in the late 1800’s in a small frontier town, Georgie and her older sister Agatha are best friends. After a group of Pigeoners comes to town, following the gigantic flock of pigeons, Agatha goes missing. Georgie knows Agatha is a free spirit, but when no letters arrive and a body is found, Georgie is determined to prove everyone wrong.
I just didn’t bond with Georgie. The name Agatha is said SO many times, that I couldn’t for the life of me remember our heroine’s name! The story was fairly slow moving, and overly suffused with information about Agatha and pigeons. I found myself feeling pretty ambivalent about the outcome. It’s my opinion that between the pace and the pigeons, students will give up on this book quickly.
Elementary, MS- OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: